Despite the delays in the implementation of the Abaca Rehabilitation Program, Ms. Nelia B. Teves, the provincial agriculturist, said that the awarding of the Cash-for-Work Incentives (CWIs) to the recipients of the program is now 94.8% complete and is target to be completed in the first week of May.
As of April 23, 13, 380 farmers out of the 14, 273 total recipients from the different municipalities in the province have received their cash incentives since the initial implementation of the program on April last year.
They have received ₱47,402,213 out of the 50M abaca rehab fund.
Moreover, ₱1,658,986 worth of CWI will be next awarded to the remaining 508 recipients from San Miguel, while 385 payrolls from the farmers of Viga and Bato (278 and 107 farmers, respectively) worth ₱918,672 are still on process at the Accounting Office.
Furthermore, the provincial agriculturist also explained the reasons for the delay in the implementation of the program that is first set to be completed by December last year.
According to Ms. Teves, she had organized a Provincial Abaca Task Force last year to help the Philippine Fiber Industry Development Authority (PhilFIDA) in validating the documents of the recipients, however, PhilFIDA Regional Director Mary Anne Molina declined the offer.
“Ang sako, antisipasyon lang na dai mako-cope up su target na end of December kaya ako nag-organize ning task force,” Teves said.
“In-approve ni Gov. (yung task force) kaya lang, pig-discredit ning PhilFIDA,” she furthered.
Furthermore, another reason she has seen that slowed down the implementation is the change in the provincial administration.
Despite these delays, Ms. Teves said that as soon as the cash incentives are released by the Accounting Office, they will continuously distribute them to the remaining recipients and finish the implementation hopefully in the first week of May.